Tuesday, March 31, 2009

me and mom

Oh, mommyhood. Now that spring cleaning is in full effect, I've been sifting through old photos and I honestly can hardly keep myself from welling up with that mommy lump in the throat. That emotion that is hard to explain when you feel happy, proud, worried, and probably a little bit scared of everything you don't know. Then I think of how much I've learned from Aiden and how much being a mommy just fits.
A good friend just had a baby and her twitter feed explains a lot...She exclaims that she "never thought she'd be so happy waking up every three hours during the night!" I totally understand what she means. It's the best feeling to know that other people are enjoying parenthood as much as we are.
I continue to be so, so committed to my little baby even though he continues to transform into an independent little boy more and more every day. If I could hit the pause button every once in a while I would, but mommyhood has one speed which feels like fast forward. I am happy about this most of the time, but I'm just glad that we at least attempt to capture it on film and save it for later. And I'm lucky that someone else occassionally picks up the camera for me ;)
When it comes to a mommy update, it seems like it's been a lot of the same 'ol, same 'ol around here. The weaning report: He pretty much requests it at least three times a day...most of the time for just a short little bit. I decided to stop trying to stop. Why push it really, if he doesn't want to give it up, why should I? I'm ready to be finished, but if he's not ready that's fine. I'm not going to smear vinegar on anything or make it a discipline/control thing. I know that it works for us (even though there are many reports that try to let women off the hook saying that the benefits aren't as plentiful at this stage, there are still valid benefits). I'm just happy that he's such an active, bubbly kid and you can't ask for much more than that...

4 comments:

Allison said...

what beautiful pictures. the first one is especially precious - you guys are so cute!!!

Erin and Sylvan said...

oh lauren! you are such a great mom! these pictures are so sweet.

K8 said...

These are so sweet! Aiden is lucky to have such loving parents.

Bonnie said...

Beautiful photos, beautiful words. Very touching and meaningful sentiments, Lauren. You and J have been wonderful parents, and little Aiden is a fabulous little kid! Thanks for the gift of your stories and pictures.