Wednesday, February 3, 2010

27 months

Dear Aiden,

This was the month of stories. "That's a good story Dada, now I tell you story..." - "Once upon a day there was an old man named PopPop" was a common beginning. Then many stories would include either lions or dragons roaring. You usually expect us to tell you a story in a very specific way. If we told it differently you would tell us we were silly. You can recite the Night Kitchen Mickey story with daddy's prompting. You love making up new stories for the animals in your barn that usually involve them taking showers and hiding from each other. The puppet show ups the ante and makes for even more fun stories. My favorite is when you have the characters talk to each other.You were really into saying bye over and over again when we left you. You would give a hug and a kiss and say "that's a big one." Along with everything being a "big one" you like to say "oh, that's so great" or "that's so silly!" Everything is soooo big when you're a happy two year old! You like to help me take photos with my camera because you are "ographer just like mommy."
We saw a bald guy at a restaurant the other day and he was smiling at you. You were making your little embarrassed face and then you were "hiding" from him by shutting your eyes. You would peek out every now and then to see if he was still smiling at you. When he left you said bye, then you said "where is the egg head man going?" oh geesh! Luckily, I don't think he heard you.
Your dad loves to explain little science facts to you. You have this science picture book that explains what air is and that it is "all around." You like to point out that it's here and there and down there and in here and... Your dad also taught you that it is full of oxygen and nitrogen, which you say with your cute little voice - night-oh-jin.You have a full schlew of new toys from the holiday. If we ask you "did santa bring that to you?" - You reply with "no that's silly!" "Then who brought them?" "Mommy." Uh ok, let's hope you really don't understand what you are saying because we hope to keep the magic of santa around a little longer than 2 years old ;)You learn from other kids quicker than from us. Tyler taught you to kick which you most of the time do in a safe way that isn't going to put holes in anything... Tyler's mom says that Tyler and you are like brothers and he gets jealous when you play with other kids around him. Tyler taught you to say "whaatsz up" and I'm imagining you as a teenager. He gave you a little scratch on your face which gave me flashbacks to incident reports at daycare. Although this time you could tell us exactly how it happened. We discovered though that since when you are misbehaving we always say "be nice" you think nice means growling and being fierce. I think we've cleared up that confusion.You like to make comparisons lately. "That airplane has long wings just like that bird" was one I jotted down. You will sometimes be silly like wrapping a diaper around your neck and saying "look at my scarf!" You can be convinced to do just about anything if you think one of us will do it too. We're not beneath pretending that daddy wants to put on the diaper to convince you to want a new diaper.One of your favorite new games is "I spy with my little eye" - We play that everything you find with that color is correct and we occasionally add in more qualifications so that it is one specific item. You still love seeing old videos of our family fun. You will point to still photos and say "I want to see that" and you don't quite understand that not everything will play ;) You make this funny little confused/concerned face and say "i think so." You are very convincing.It makes me giggle when you get home from gymboree and I ask you how it was and you reply, "there were lotsa girls." I'm never sure what you will come up with when I ask questions lately. It keeps things interesting. Your expressions are pretty easy to read and I love to watch for a reaction when you see something new. Your face when you walked into the big tall ikea warehouse was one of my favorites this month. Your determined face is another favorite. You hopped on this little scooter at the store the other day and I let you give it a try. I told you to step on it with one foot and kick your other foot out. You immediately made it scoot and oh boy were you excited ;) I bought that scooter for you thinking (and wishing) for warmer days.You have such a fun daddy that can make up the best stories and puppet shows. He may have what you call scratchy kisses (although he does shave everyday!). I love when you have giggle wrestle hugs. You occasionally start singing when you wake up in the morning. You're into making up songs about daddy being your buddy set to the elmo song tune "daddy is my buddy, he loves the world, that's daddy's song..."You've been eating fairly well although I'd love to get you more variety. When I ask you what your favorite food is you say "peanut butter like you!" That's my boy. Then you rattle on about your other favorites "yogurt berries, raisins, macky cheese and milk." You like to ask for fish sticks for breakfast and then smile and say "that's silly." This month your potty calendar started out with many "i love you for trying" check marks, but the bottom is chock full of "i did it" stickers. Lighting McQueen occasionally calls you on the phone to congratulate you for being such a big boy. You were asking to go sometimes without prompting, but we're still taking it easy. If you want to go to what you call the "mamasouri school" we have until the end of August for full time potty. The Science Museum was definitely a highlight for you this month. You have asked us many times if we "remember the big bug and tall dinosaur?" I look forward to more opportunity to get out and about to absorb some more wintertime fun.

Love you, Mommy

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

so sweet. still can't believe how old he is!

K8 said...

I think it's great how dedicated you've been to this blog, Lauren! What a gift for Aiden (and you and J).