A new school year started today, and the weather blew in a cool, rainy fall-like day... Aiden was up and ready to go with nearly an hour to spare. It almost seemed too easy getting everything geared up. Aiden and I finished up his backpack robot yesterday afternoon. He even helped on the sewing machine for the first time! The robot guy has eyes that blink and a mouth that opens and shuts. He's required to have a much larger backpack that will fit a large folder so it looks gigantic on him! His face on the left might make you think he was a little nervous for school, but no not at all - That is his robot surprise face!
I didn't shed a tear that my grown up guy is so independent that he just hopped into his classroom like he'd been there for months. Although a Natalie Merchant song tried to get me in the car on the way to pick him up, with the These Are the Days...to remember... Oh, I know that I will remember these sweet early family days...and the big backpacks with three year old robot designs, water smudged shirts, and chinny smiles...
Aiden quotes on the ride home:
"So did we just go through a car pool? Can our car swim?"
"I met new friends because we were all new together! Even I was new!"
"They had the same pink tower at my old American school and here in my Florida school in Virginia."
"I ate some cheese during our fire drill which came on over the radio."
"I have my inside shoes on in the car! Oops!"
"My backpack robot is sleeping and eating at the same time!"
Here are the lyrics from the 10,000 Maniacs song with Natalie Merchant that popped on the radio as I cruised in the minivan to the car pool lane. Have they been playing this song on the radio since the 90s?!
these are days you'll remember
never before and never since, I promise
will the whole world be warm as this
and as you feel it, you'll know it's true
that you are blessed and lucky
it's true, that you are touched by something
that will grow and bloom in you
these are days you'll remember
when May is rushing over you with desire
to be part of the miracles you see in every hour
you'll know it's true, that you are blessed and lucky
it's true, that you are touched by something
that will grow and bloom in you
these are the days
that you might fill with laughter
until you break
these days you might feel a shaft of light
make its way across your face
and when you do
you'll know how it was meant to be
see the signs and know their meaning
you'll know how it was meant to be
hear the signs and
know they're speaking to you
to you





4 comments:
Yeah for the first day at school - love Aiden's robot face :) I think his backpack is big he could sit inside of it!
Thx! I think I could smuggle him into that bag ;)
Love the "cudda" smile on that school boy. Robot Pop Pop
He does look like a barracuda! teehee!
Post a Comment