Saturday, February 27, 2010

good list

#1: Daguerrotypes
I just finished a History of Photography class that covered all of photography since its inception. I was immediately intrigued by the daguerrotypes that my instructor had in class and I turned to ebay for one of my own. $10 later I have my own old school print (probably from the early 1900s). It's such a good combo with all my old vintage cameras. It's not a stunning example or in the best shape, but I think it's pretty darn fun to see in person. I wish they sold photos in cool little containers like this nowadays. Sorry for the cheesy blue background ebay photos.



#2: The National Wildlife Federation's Wild Animal Baby magazines.

 Not only does Aiden love getting his own piece of mail each month, but these fun books are fairly well made and good little learning books. Aiden loves the little Sammy the Skunk that hides on the pages so you can search for him. It even came with a Sammy backpack.



#3: Retouched photos - So if you can't capture the perfect light the first time around that filters away the lines left by good laughs, use Photoshop.  Here is my slightly over-photoshopped (the blur threw it over the edge I think) portrait on my Poppy that employed nearly every layer mask technique I learned in my winter session Navigating the Digital Darkroom course.  Valuable tools!

#4: Scrapbook Blogger - This was a super cool online site I found that automatically imports your blog into a book.  My friends had done this for all of the stuff I'd written about my pregnancy as the-best-gift, but I think they had to do it by hand - copy and paste.  I knew I didn't have time to copy and paste, so I was happy to have found this.  It is a bit pricey and the image quality is so-so, but I got a 250 page hard cover book of the first nine months of writing.

4 comments:

K8 said...

That scrapbook blog program is a good idea. Yes, Lara and I cut and pasted everything...it would be a bit time-consuming for a busy mamma like yourself! Enjoy.

LB said...

That was such a nice thoughtful gift - Thanks!

Libby said...

Thanks so much for the nice mention, and cute photo, of our Wild Animal Baby magazine.

We here in the children's publications nook of the National Wildlife Federation really appreciate bloggers like you who speak so kindly of our magazines into which we pour lots of love and labor!

With warmest wishes to you and yours,
Libby Schleichert
Children's Publications
National Wildlife Federation
Reston, Virginia

www.nwf.org/kids

Anna said...

We love wild animal baby too! Something about having the kids get something in the mail is so cool for kiddos!