Wednesday, March 2, 2011

mommy visits


I had a chance to visit Aiden's class today to talk about photography.  I was so happy to see Aiden's face light up when I entered the room with my box full of old cameras and sun paper kits. All the children were all coming back from a bathroom break, and Aiden introduced each of them to me as they entered the room.  He even made sure to introduce his teacher to me.

I started by showing them the very first photograph taken out a window in France in 1826 (on the left).  They enjoyed describing the shapes and we talked about how the light reflects off the different shapes.  They were very good at asking questions, with the occasional random comment about having pasta for dinner last night.

We talked about how the most important tool we use for photography is light.  They then made their own cyanotype "sun prints" with shapes to block the light.  While they developed in the window sun, I then passed around 8 of my old cameras.  They were fascinated by the shutter clicks.

I also showed them my old daguerrotype portrait.  Portrait was a new word for them. We talked about what they like to take photos of and where they like to take photos.  I even showed them the first photo taken underwater in 1893 (on the left).  Ansel Adams was their class artist last month, so I showed them a version of the first camera his father gave him in 1916, an early Brownie box.

Then the sun had done its job to reflect light onto their papers, and they carefully dipped them in lemon juice water to rinse them.  They were each very excited to see the spots where their shapes had been turn white.  They were also excited to each have a job to help clean up the rinsing stations and dry everything with their classroom towels.

It is such a treat to be part of a school that values parents contributions and asks them to be involved.

2 comments:

jcoviatt@msn.com said...

What did the choose to make their prints? Did they do their initial or Cricut shapes?

LB said...

They did use their circut shapes! Thanks for those! Mrs. Healey particularly liked that they each had a letter for their name.