Wednesday, July 2, 2014

39 months

Dear Keaton,

We are two and a half weeks into summer and that seems like a short amount of time (I even have cut flowers that Aiden's teachers gave me that are still alive) but it seems like we've been in summer mode for a while.  If summer was measured by the number of times you go swimming or play in the hose/sprinkler you'd have an almost complete summer by now.

It took you about a week to realize that the routine had changed and Aiden was going to be around and we didn't have to take him to school. I'm relieved that my worries that you guys might go after each other all summer long were unfounded.  You guys mostly have fun together and I think that tiny phase of brotherly smothering was mostly when you were desperate for his attention and he was tired from school.
You have the best phrases lately:
"I'm very interested in you [insert name of the person you want to play with]"
If someone laughs: "Are you joking with me?"
When you fix up a game or finish a puzzle: "Now it's nice as new"
When I ask you to do something or Aiden wants to share, in a sing song happy voice, "Not today!"
When you need to go potty or go do something, "Pause break!" or "Pause the house, I'll be right back!"
You love singing and picking up on songs that are playing.  You are a noise making kinda guy: "Listen, I sound like a washer - swish uh uh wah!"  You were making a girl laugh at the playground the other dat singing "itty bitty fire fly…" set to the Fireworks Katy Perry song.  "Mommy you like this song? Cinnamon, ninnnnnamonnnn!"
We took a fun trip to Lancaster to visit the trains and Dutch Wonderland.  You had a funny way of greeting all the cows we drove past, "Moo Hi!"  There was a petting zoo at the caboose village we were staying at and when we handed you the animal food you remembered our trip to the Tucson farm saying, "Ooh is this where the evil ostrich lives!?"

You were so brave on the big swirly water slide (even the one that was completely dark!) and you loved riding in the front of the raft.  You were the funniest close to the wheel 'driver' on Duke's Lagoon boat ride (which we didn't have the heart to tell you followed a track). You won a muffin tin ball throwing game when one of your balls landed in the coveted red spot.  The ninja turtle you ended up was immediately your new buddy. It was also hard to correct you cute word mix up for hotel, "Are we going back to the show and tell?"

Occasionally when you cuddle in close you joke, "I'm a baby in your tummy!"  You had a long elaborate story that you told your dad about how you named yourself Keaton while you were still a baby in mommy's tummy.  Whenever we bring up babies or you see a baby, you love to tell people about your cousin Cameron.

It's inevitable that kids will ask for a dog, but I figured we had a few years before you realized you even wanted a dog.  You were rallying for one the other day, and you said, "I need a puppy to give a bone!" Not any time soon, bubba, I just finished cleaning up your  dirty diapers and I'm not ready to deal with cleaning up after a dog.

When we were at the farmer's market the other day, you said "look an eggplant from food factory!" and I couldn't help but laugh that you thought the eggplant was a character.  You can chow a bowl of pasta a batch of pancakes (especially crepey ones) - saying "I'm the pancakes guy!" You are a popsicle guy too.  You like these veggie straw chip strip like things at PB Jacks, and your favorite game is to use them as a straw extension - and it works!

You loved teaming up with some 'stranger friends' and playing hide and seek in the big climbing structure to find your brother.  You think of your shadow as part of you, and you say, "Hey, Aiden watch out you walk on my shadow!"  You made us laugh trying to copy Aiden's Spanish - Mamalita! was my favorite spanglish word you created.  You love to play with your brother while he reads or does something else - especially funny was you lifting his body parts with the grabber arm.

You love your daddy time.  When he arrived home from a long trip late at night and he is in bed in the morning, you asked "When does daddy open?"  He plays silly games with you, like you explained, "Daddy once gave me a bug to eat and I was so brave I chomped it, but it was just a pretzel!"  You had so much fun spraying your daddy at the water park while he jumped and tried to duck the squirts.

You continue to be funny about introducing yourself as Aiden's brother and saying cute little things like "You missed me!" to the waitress.  Your reaction to the G reat Z uc chini is really funny because you pull a fan boy every time.  When he had a fairly small crowd at P B J acks you really got a chance to talk to him. You showed him your version of the missing finger trick: "My dad taught me to do that when I was a baby! It's a trick look my finger is still on! No fingers actually cut - magic!"

You love finding Ks everywhere.  You are thrilled that KB initials make the knight boy logo from your latest favorite Dragon and Me book.  You loved the knights at the Dutch Wonderland shows and even came away with another foam sword for your collection.   I'm somewhat over my hesitation with the swords because you do know how to be a proper knight now…which you will tell me if I'm hedging on letting you carry it in the car.

If a stranger asks you, "Your name is Keegan?" You reply with "Nope, it's Kea-T-o-n."  You spell out your name which makes it easier for them to understand even though you sometimes rush those first few letters so they sound like one big letter.   I think it's from hearing me spell it out to people every so often.

You were a super giddy haircut guy in the big boy chair.  You explained, "Look at all these cut hairs these were mine!"  You love to cut paper and your kid scissors are definitely in the crafty mix frequently.  You like to do things that you think are for big kids like holding leaf blower - "It is powery!"

When your dad and I went on our anniversary trip to NYC it was the first time ever that someone else had successfully put you to bed.  You told me right away when you got home, "I had fun with gran and pop mama!" You are so lucky that to have loving, active grandparents that can keep up with you.  You were drawing pictures on window and you described the picture to me, "I caught myself when I was going to fall or I might get ankle hurt like Gran Gran!" You sure do understand what is going on...

You love telling jokes and this was one of my favorites: "Why did the Keaton cross the road? To hold his mommy's hand"  Lotsa semi jokes about monkeys lately that use funny parts of the word, so you sorta get what your brother is doing when he makes up the real jokes:
"My monkey's name is doc nut" - coconut? - "nope, like doc!"
"My monkey is a little sad, he wants to go monk home!"
 "Knock knock, Monkey, Monkey Who, Monkey banana on a tail!"

You had some funny question to ask Alice (the intelligent computer you can access online) - "Do you have Santa in your eyeballs? Do you have Siri in your brain? Do you have daddy in your head?"  You say some tidbits and I have no idea where you get the ideas:
"That's just dead skin, I don't need a nail trim"
"I'm now allergic to that, it makes my throat tickle"
You have all sorts of fun play ideas. "We could paint our cars like dragons and fly on them!"
What game do you want to play? "The same game you want to play called chasing mama!"  You and your brother are pretty good about playing games together and you can create scenes with your characters for a long time.  The recipe for a good summer is good ol brother playtime.  Looking forward to more summer time cuddles with my guy that likes to say "These are my hugging muscles!"

Abrazos, Mommy

No comments: