Tuesday, September 23, 2008

mom check in

It seems like it's time for a mini mom check in. I write this blog mainly for Aiden and I bet he'd like to know how things are going for his parents every once in a while. School's back in session soon. daa daa da. J's class arranged for 15 students in a tiny seminar room exploded on the first day with over 100 students banging down the doors. We celebrated a major publication accepted and a full completed draft of his book in the same week. It's been nice to have excuses to go out for early dinners to celebrate! Baby AB loves his hanging chair so that he's right up in the action. But we have started the wheels churning on what we would like to do as a couple now that we have a dependable babysitter. It's harder than we would think to come up with something worth leaving Aiden. May sound crazy, but I think we are lucky that we get to eat lunch together on most days so we have our couple time then.

It's been sooo nice to work from home two days a week, and I truly feel that I've been twice as productive. I haven't been visiting Aiden at school yet because I know that they go out on their walks around lunch time and I didn't want to rob him of his favorite carriage rides. Now that I'm into a routine though, I do plan to try to head over during lunch. But I'm still a bit worried that if he eats with me while I visit I won't have enough milk pumped for the next day. Since whole milk is so close on the horizon, I'm really not too worried about my supply anymore. If anything, I'm worried about how uncomfortable weaning may be. I think that being able to visit him for relief when I stop pumping will be nice.

Twice I've spoiled Aiden's milk after leaving my cooler out of the fridge overnight. Thank goodness for my supply of freezer milk, which I filter in to the mix so that it never goes bad. Aiden drinks only milk from me, and that has been a lot of hard work. I believe that he has avoided many school illnesses because of all the antibodies (he was literally the only one to not get sick when school came back in session). I know all the good stuff and for the most part I've enjoyed breast feeding him, but I have to admit that I'm sooo ready to be done pumping at work. The custodian walked in on me again last week and I was ready to throw the pump out the window. I am so hopeful that he will like whole milk, and I'm really hoping that weaning will be smooth.

I have my days when I day dream of being a stay at home mom, but I feel lucky that we have a good balance for our family. But here is what I would do as a stay at home mom:
- Make my own peanut butter granola
- Plan good dinners
- Iron more (with something hot, not a spray)
- Take down the wallpaper in the office
- Embroider cute things for Aiden
- Join the quilt club
- Garden a little bit
- Enjoy leisurely trips to the grocery
- Wear casual scarves in my hair
- Drink more water
- Take and edit more photos
- Nap with the baby
- Make more lists
Now that I read through this I think I can accomplish all of these and work! It might just take me a little longer.

No comments: