Saturday, September 13, 2008

my teachers!

She is brave enough to wear dangle earrings and teach you how to pat them nicely. She is smart enough to distract you when it's time to give back your toys at the end of the day. She is nice enough to rub your tummy when you are having trouble getting to sleep.  She always gives mommy a complete rundown of how you were feeling that day. You are excited to see her and you give her some really genuine snuggles. You may not notice when she has to go off to work somewhere else, but I will. She has an offer she can't refuse (working in insurance even though she has a degree and is a certified teacher in early childhood education), and we're happy for her. But I feel a sinking ick when I think of that time before they are able to hire someone new, and a super ick if you do notice that your favorite teacher is missing.

Aiden is really toddling now, and the bumps and bruises are part of the learning. But selfishly, I want her to stay because I trusted that she really cared about Aiden and wouldn't let him get lost in the shuffle. I know the other teachers are great, and thank goodness for his secondary teacher that has bonded with him too. I'm just hoping that they are able to get her to sign on for a longer day. In the meantime, I ride that fine line between worry and relief. I'm relieved that he gets so much good interaction with other kids and we learn how to balance our family life and work life. But I'm worried that Aiden is the type of kid that needs an attachment, someone consistent and not someone that is temporary or just filling in for the day. 

I guess we should focus on the fact that she offered to babysit any time, so J and I have a dependable trusted person to take care of Aiden after hours (which is really valuable!)  I'm sure we'll be able to keep in touch, and now we can get to know her even better because she can share her contact info.  She is even excited to come to Aiden's birthday party ;)

Miss Kim at the Heritage Potluck:


No comments: