Wednesday, March 24, 2010

twig tree

I can remember our family tradition of having a little tree for easter. I want Aiden to have the same spring memories. Despite not having fully packed for Arizona, I am trying to squeeze in all sorts of spring fun before we leave, and this is a heck of lot more fun than sitting on top of suitcases and checking off my scribble list.

Aiden has this funny little bird book that gives the recipe to make bird ornaments in the back. He got extremely excited to make his own ornaments with "toooools!" I got out all of our cookie cutters (which is quite the collection now - I may have to divide it by season) and some playdough tools. He helped me mix and knead the dough (see the simple dimple recipe we used below) and we cutout two trays worth of cookie cutter animals and egg shapes. They dried and the next day we painted them all. Then the next day, we took a trip to the backyard to pick out our big twigs (some of our ornaments ended up being a bit heavy) so we helped start some of the spring bush pruning.

I had something new to look forward everyday I came home this week.
Monday - making the dough and the ornaments:

Tuesday - painting the dried ornaments, a pretty big mess:

Wednesday - trimming down the twigs, stringing the yarn, and hanging the ornaments on our very first Brennan Family Spring Twig Tree:


This spring tree we will be able to enjoy once we get back too, assuming that the cats don't decide to fight it...I may have to corral it somehow because that seems far too tempting.

salt dough:
1 cup salt
3 cups flour
mix salt and flour together (Aiden likes doing it in the open dishwasher "work area" and the mess is easy to clean up - just shut the washer door)
add 1 cup water (more as you knead it)
knead for a good ten minutes or so until it's set
then smoosh it into shapes - ideal size is 1/4 inch
avoid a roller and flour your work surface because it can be pretty sticky
place on a greased cookie sheet and dry in the 325 oven for about half an hour

5 comments:

Erin and Sylvan said...

elvis would have a field day! such a pretty tree though--you are such a crafty mama! inspiring me to get my craft on...

K8 said...

You are so creative; I love it!

K8 said...

is it edible paint?

Anna said...

What a great idea. Would you like to come to my house and make one too:)

LB said...

by the time we get back i'm sure the cats will have destroyed it somehow! but it's only fair to leave them some fun while we're out of town ;) and it will be even more fun to rehang it ;)

yep - definitely edible paint for kiddos! It looks worse than it was but that molar teething pain caused him to push the brush against his bottom lip ;)