Aiden's firsts are slower to get checked off lately, but today he danced around a little after I tried to calmly explain to him that we just had an earthquake. He wasn't scared and cheered, "Yay, my first earthquake!" Um, and let's hope your last... The 5.9 earthquake lasted around a minute. The rumble built up slowly and I had enough time to say to my brand new mom friend's TWICE that I thought we were having an earthquake. Then the rattling got intense, and we all jumped under the door frame in the basement room where we were playing at my neighbor's house. It felt like heavy turbulence on a stormy plane flight. The piano in the room rattled off some notes and frames shook around on the wall. I think my adrenaline was pumping with a calm KC in my arms and Aiden tucked between my legs. I can imagine that our large group of six other moms and their kids all huddled together was probably a bit funny, but I was grateful for the company. J was at Georgetown where they quickly evacuated the building and he hopped in his car just as they were shutting down his parking garage. He made it home in about triple the normal time, but at least he made it home. There were still people emailing our community listserv looking for rides at dinner time a few hours later. The only effects as far as we can tell were a few shaken frames and my new craft shelf had a few things tumble. Some where still in limbo from being shaken like the black case in the top left of that photo... So grateful we are safe and sound, if just a bit rattled... I do confess that Aiden stomp running through our living room had me thinking another rumble had started...
8 comments:
Glad you're all safe and sound! What's the "YES" for?
found that at the treasure trove - it's from crate and barrel - still deciding where to hang it - I like it in my craft room because when I go there it's like a fist pump "yes! i get to craft now!"
I'm so glad you're all safe!
Glad you guys were safe and sound too!
glad you guys are safe too! i love the YES letters! reminds me of the novagratz family style--do you watch them on HGTV? love the mix of modern and vintage...
the letters are vintage modern - i like that description - i will have to check out the novagratz - can't wait to see the new nursery!
The show is called Home by Novogratz--I bet you would love it! stay safe with the crazy weather this weekend!
Thanks! We are going to be hunkered down and maybe I can get more stuff done inside ;) I'm going to get the DVR to pick it up - because if a tv show isn't on in the middle of the night I probably haven't seen it ;) thanks for the rec!
Post a Comment