The cherry blossoms are peaking already! This morning the somewhat undependable weatherman said to expect rain this weekend and then muttered something about it taking down the blossoms. Um, I jumped on the Internet to discover that it was true that the blossoms could all be washed away with one good storm! Booo! So as I nursed KC, I was reminiscing back to almost nearly a year ago while I nursed a tiny infant version of him daydreaming about being in DC to see the blossoms. I even had some blossom stickers to stare at on his nursery wall. So I hatched a plan to get there as soon as possible. I called J and he was game to try to meet us (super yay)! I packed up some picnic lunch and when Aiden hopped in the car at carpool I let him in on the plan... He was more excited to ride the metro than anything else. We haven't ventured out on the metro so that was part of the excitement. As soon as we took off he said it felt like we were surfing down in the belly of a whale! The ride was about 20 minutes and the train got pretty crowded by the end of the ride, but at least we didn't need to cruise for a parking spot. It was pretty amazing how many people were parading around the area on a Friday afternoon, and it hit nearly 90 degrees! It wasn't quite the romantic ideal that I'd hatched in my mind oh so long ago, but I do think it's a DC tradition worth visiting (a many thousands of people agree with me unfortunately). We had a little picnic in the perfect shady spot and walked all the way around to the Jefferson Memorial. KC napped and Aiden got a case of the Tadas! when I asked for his picture. I didn't bring the big camera (smart choice given the hoofing it with two kiddos in hot weather), but here are iPhone snaps:




No comments:
Post a Comment