We found it! Our first dip into geocaching/letter boxing worked out well. As a surprise for our little leprechaun hunter, we cruised over to Lake Accotink to find a cache dubbed the Canoe. This hobby/sport/hiking adventure was something I wanted to try but I was a bit skeptical whether it would work out. Would we be able to easily hike to the area where the box was hidden and then would we find it? We used the clues posted online (instead of GPS coordinates) and I think J was probably more skeptical than I was that we would manage to find it (or at least have fun finding it). We knew it was near the top of a hill, near a Y in the path, at the crook of the roots of a leaning 2 inch diameter tree. As Aiden got more and more excited, I started getting nervous that we might not be able to find it. It was not obvious even though it said online that someone had found it in February. J scurried from tree to tree brushing leaves away from the base, while Aiden followed him closely and KC kicked away on my chest trying to get in on the action. We were concentrating on trees the diameter of Aiden's wrist, but if we had looked closer we would've realized the clues were written in 2003! So our 2 inch tree was now nearly double that size! Despite our skepticism, I think the rush of finding it was pretty thrilling. J spotted it and let Aiden pull out the rocks to reveal what is considering a micro cache according to the geocaching website (essentially two tiny rubbermaid containers to keep it water tight). There was a tiny log book and a stamp for you to record in your book that you found it. I think we will try another adventure again soon... if you visit the geocaching website and type in your zip code you might be amazed at how many are hiding out there!


No comments:
Post a Comment