Aiden and I took what is becoming our monthly commute to Ohio for mother’s day weekend! We will be back again in June for father’s day – this time with J AND (caps to show excitement) my sister and her fiancé AND possibly my grandpa from FL. Such a warm fuzzy in the making. This past weekend was a big warm fuzzy too. J had a big wig honorarium type conference in montreal, and there was no way I was going to stay home alone on my first mother’s day weekend! We really ended up with the best of both. I got to be with my mom part of the day and then J the second part of the day. Most importantly Baby AB, temporarily renamed by my mom snicklefritz cuddler, and I got some true quality time. Poor little snicklefritz was on the fritz earlier in the week since that hard, icky illness did indeed turn into his second official double ear infection (boo, but I guess those chubby cheeks are worth it since the shape of your inner ear has a lot to do with whether you will get an infection – let’s hope he will grow out of it). We almost weren't sure if we'd make it to Ohio, but we got him special antibiotic drops for his ears and it seemed to clear things up in time just like the doctor said it would.
A very nice friend had offered to take Aiden and I to the airport since J was already on his way to Montreal. Aiden and I cruised through the airport like experienced business travelers. Easy diaper change before boarding and our only explosion was a little leak from his medicine bottle. He fussed a bit before we took off, then fell asleep nursing and didn't wake up until we were landing. It was totally worth sitting so still for an hour and a half just to have him well rested when we got there, but it is no small task to sit still holding a baby that long. He gets a B+ for the flight there since he did fuss a bit at first scaring all the people around us. But the flight back he gets an A+ since he was smiley and making friends and then slept about 3/4 of the time... I think he was being a good boy for mother's day. People were very helpful this time, especially on Mother's Day. I am excited to have J's extra set of arms for our next trip though (especially as he becomes more of an active squirmy worm)!
This trip coincided with the Gib-a-thon 2008 which is the annual (sometimes biannual) visit from my uncle Gib from Oregon. It was so good to see him and introduce GUG (great uncle Gib) to the A-man. He had a new flip video camera which he mounted on a monopod and he called it the Aidencam. I think it will be hysterical to watch the video that he took while just bouncing that monopod stick through the air. We also got to visit GABZO and GUR (great aunt Bonnie and Roger) at their new house for a nice dinner which also included Aiden's great great aunt Ruth and great great uncle Earl. Aiden even had his first chance to play the piano with musician Bonnie. He really seemed to understand it was something that you bang on. It was so nice for Aiden to share so many smiles.
Saturday was Aiden's first community service! We weren't sure if we would be able to make it in time or if the weather would be nice enough, but we made it downtown for the 5K Walk for Hunger. I'm proud to say that Aiden and I walked the entire route (or Aiden cruised and napped) through downtown Cleveland. I have to admit I was tiiired and I could feel the lactic acid burn in my tired legs at the beginning, but it ended up being such a nice afternoon. I nursed him at the finish line park looking out over the water listening to the schnazy rock band. It was one of those moments that just makes you feel good and I was so happy to be with my family.
Other highlights were a quick shopping trip for some bargains. We had all sorts of fun around the house (with the new changing table addition to Aiden's Ohio nursery) with the cousins. Aiden has his great uncle Bill's wild hairdo and he really liked playing a staring game with him. My cousins loved sharing Aiden time. We got a chance to get over to Bob's for my favorite cinnamon pancakes. Aiden was cuddling his great grandma and suddenly decided to munch her nose! He's been giving J baby kisses every once in a while, but this was an extreme slobbery baby kiss right on the nose. I think Gigi loved it ;)
Auntie Liz sent along a Ben's Bell and a I am Kind onesie for Mother's Day which just made my day (Thanks Lizo!). We went over to my parent's church for mother's day and had a chance to see some familiar friendly faces. Then we came back and put the french toast and egg casseroles in the oven for a quick brunch (we'd made them the day before so technically it wasn't any work on mother's day) then it was off to the airport. It was so nice to have family time when Aiden and I got home from our easy flight. J bought me a book from one of my favorite bloggers called "things i learned about my dad". It has reflections on watching your husband become a dad and even though it may be an obvious father's day present, I was glad to receive it on mother's day...mainly so I won't try to buy it for him because it may be too obviously a present disguised as a gift to myself ;) I also have a mother's day massage scheduled for next Saturday - ooh, can't wait! Thanks to everyone in Ohio for everything - especially my mom and dad for their cuddles and shared giggles. I appreciate my mom more now that I'm a mom...and I thank her for all the chocolate pb chip cookies and an all around grrreat weekend. I hope all you mothers had a great weekend too!
I'll post photos and hopefully even video soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment