Visiting home is always a treat and I can't help but sneak away for a bit and "jot down" some thoughts. I would consider a live blog of all the excitement, but this will have to do for now ;) We were originally planning to come to town because my sister and her fiance were going to be in town, but it just happened to coincide with the graduation at my old high school. They had invited me to "participate" as a former award winner and I thought it would be a nice chance to see the school without all the fuss of alumni weekend. My mom came along as another alumnae, so we took the same drive together that we took together for all 4 years of high school. I was feeling reflective, and I couldn't help but think as I spoke to another parent about what it will be like when Aiden's graduating from high school. I know getting ahead of myself... but I don't think I quite understood what it meant to be proud until I became a parent. I also don't think I really knew what tired felt like ;) But most of all, I think I am more grateful to my parents than I've ever been... definitely more grateful than I was or realized I should be when I sat at that graduation 11 years ago.
The Head of School did his typical amazing job of putting together simple words to say really meaningful things. He started off by talking about how proud the class and their parents should feel. He spoke directly to the parents and described "singing the song of parenthood" by keeping "the rhythm of holding close and letting go". I thought about all the milestones where I will hold Aiden close and how learning to let go will be just as important. It all sounds trite when I try to explain it, but the senior speech given ended with a duet singing of the "For Good" song from the Wicked musical.
Here are my favorite parts of the lyrics:
"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you..."
"So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart"
No comments:
Post a Comment