The biggest change this month wasn't how sharp your teeth got or how many more popped out, but how M-O-B-I-L-E you've become. It's amazing really and I'm not sure over the next few months how we're going to keep up. You walk in increments and you usually want to hold one hand as you walk. Your crawl is so lightening speed I can barely keep up with my video camera angles especially when we're trying to talk over the skype video call. You even give a high five to the screen when your grandparents put up their hand on the skype video. We pulled up photos with your hand open and you did the same thing. We're going to be lucky if that laptop screen survives your first year.

You're my little engineer/toy maker that is always flipping over toys to examine them. Now I know why they keep the batteries behind a screw. You find a little screw spot on the padded wall at school and you poke and poke and poke...Until some other kid comes over to explore it and then you start babbling to tell them all about it. I imagine that you're telling them how useless it is because you've been pressing it all day and it hasn't done anything.... yet.
Your teachers help you work on your gross motor skills... which aren't really "gross" except for when your dummy mom decides to hand you a delicate sand dollar your nice great aunt sent you and your arms wave with excitement... then smash... and we're exploring gross sand dollar dust. But seriously, we know that your gross motor skills are improving as you learn to mount your horsey and pat his mane with your hand. You can even get on and off your horsey without help. I think that you're also working on what they call "fine" motor skills (according to your four page long progress report from school!). You love to point at things and if we give you a book and ask you to point at the cat, you'll point right at it...assuming it's the only thing on the page. I joke, but you do like to point and prompt us to tell you what things are. I think you're storing all this info for later (when you will start rattling off the difference between a jaguar and a tiger like your two year old friend), so I try to be as accurate as possible. I better brush up on my baby animal names ;)
We've started letting you play with your spoon since you were so curious to grab at it. You will scoop and sometimes even manage to get the spoon back in your mouth before flopping it around. Your little teeth will munch at that rubbery coating as we spoon the yummies for you. I think it helps soothe that back gummy layer and those side teeth that are creeping out. You have the classic Oviatt gap between the front baby teethers, but if you're lucky like your mom it will close up on it's own. Regardless, it's so cute to sing little songs to you about jack-o-lantern teeth.

Sometimes I arrive to pick you up from school and you have two rings hanging out both sides of your mouth and a ring in each hand as you lunge towards me. You do a good job at helping them fill up that "from the mouth" cleaning bucket each day, but that's because you're a baby that needs to suck, chew, and munch. Unfortunately, this has now translated to biting mommy while nursing. You will giggle as I pry your chin loose gently. Then I will promptly put you down which you seem to understand means to not nibble your mom, but regardless, I think you've started self-weaning a bit because sometimes you are happy to crawl off and play instead of continue to eat.
At the beginning of the month, you were using the car cart at school like a little old lady with a walker. You'd zip over to the toys walking behind it, plop down to play, then bounce back up, and zoom over to the books. Even the other kids, that have sturdier legs than you do, like to do this and sometimes there is more than one kid pushing at a time. You are just fascinated by the other kids and you will even copy their dance moves. They love to dance at school and when you see them beebopping you stare at them fascinated and then you imitate with a smile.
Towards the end of this month, you started expanding on what we joked looked like the yoga
"warrior pose" (standing on one leg while kicking the other out in front of you) You then started positioning that little kick start leg against your piano like you wanted to climb over it. You've even started hooking one of your toes onto the baby pen gate like you're getting ready to climb. It's looking like we're going to have a climber on our hands.

You love to climb up the wall and sometimes you will even give it a good kiss. We even had to temporarily take down the frames on the wall because we were afraid you'd sneak in a good wack and they'd tumble off their nail. Your favorite wall to climb is the big glass sliding door. You get so excited to see the rain hit that glass you will scream, crawl over there, and stand there staring at the drops the splurt onto the window. It makes even the rainiest day fun to play with you.

We've noticed that when you are really tired you are prone to sleep "sitting". Instead of sleep walking, we've noticed you in your bed rolling over, then popping up to sitting while your eyes are still shut. You sorta wave in the breeze, sometimes whimper, and then slump back down with your sweet sleepy head on the bed. It's hard for us to resist tussling your hair or rubbing your back. You daddy loves to tussle your hair and he says that that is what daddy's do when they are happy. I think it's like one big hallmark commerical ad and it just gives me a sweet little lump in my throat when I see you and your dad smiling.
All month you've been clicking and smacking your lips usually to mimic your crazy mom and dad. Just the other day you started quacking. You quacked all the way home from school after showing me the yellow duck with feathers you created while singing songs about ducks at school. Your teacher says you were really into it and I could see your little fingernails still had some yellow paint. I can't wait for some more craft time as you get bigger (I'm already cataloging the good ideas so get ready!).
This month will bring some birthday and halloween fun! Save up those smiles to share... and thanks for letting me chase you around with the camera. And big thanks for agreeing to start wearing shoes... occassionally.Love, Your Photographer, Baby Shoe Loving Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment