Sunday, November 9, 2008

chipmunk cheeks

This weekend so far has been full of fall festivals, hot cider, and nursing. I have my panties in a pinch over this soy milk stuff. There is mixed research and inconclusive evidence on whether it is as nutritious or has anything that could effect a baby's normal development. When the doctor brought it up I initially asked is that safe and she assured me that he wouldn't be drinking it in high enough dosages to effect him in any negative way. Made sense at the time, but then I thought about the huge percentage of his diet this milk is and will be. Verdict is still out, but I have auntie-nutritionist-connected-to-high-profile-dietitians on the case so that she can give me sound advice and a second opinion.

So therefore, I've been "messing" with my supply by allowing Aiden to eat with me during the day instead of giving him milk. We did half heartedly give him about 2 ozs yesterday morning, and I wiped out a few ounces of pumped milk... but the rest of the day I just nursed him... happily I might add. Part of this is clearly me having trouble giving this up. I admit it. I will get over it. Awareness is the first step to change.

The biggest issue though is that every couple hours I get what I would describe as a 'charlie horse'-muscle-cramp-tenderness that is almost as bad as contractions. It goes away pretty quickly and there is no dilation or signs that I'm actually going to give birth through my nipple or anything... but geesh, ouch. and another thing they don't explain well enough. 'They' meaning the other pregnant women/moms that hide the yicky details of all this baby care schtuff.

I guess if I'm going to whine I will also throw in that Aiden (aka. Alvin the chipmunk) has decided that his cheeks are not only cute but useful for storing up extra semi-chewed food. Yep, he will smash as much chicken in his mouth as possible (with a face of glee and satisfaction like it's the best thing he's ever tasted) and then do some half chews and sip his water. Giving us the impression that he's cleared this food away and he is done eating. The tricky part is that sometimes even 30 minutes later without me being aware, this kid still has half chewed chicken in his cheeks. Then he gets overzealous about nursing with half chewed chicken in his mouth he ends up trying to chew and nurse at the same time! ouch.

Aiden's calling... love it when he sleeps in...

No comments: