Sunday, September 12, 2010

choc milkshake day

Did you know that today is National Chocolate Milkshake Day?!  Who knows where these things come from and how they float around on the internet?!  I was curious to learn that the first milkshake was in print in 1885 and actually had whiskey in it.

We celebrated by taking a trip to our favorite greasy spoon for Awful Awfuls, the Newport Creamery. They call their milkshakes Awful Awfuls here is the explanation from the trusty internet:

What is an Awful Awful?
As Newport Creamery's advertising copy has been known to say, "It's a drink!" Specifically, an ice cream drink. Even more specifically, a blend of flavored syrup, milk, and a secret frozen ice milk mix. The ice milk differentiates the Awful Awful from its cousins, the Cabinet and the Frappe, and from its evil twin, the Friendly's Fribble Shake. They're "Awful big, awful good," and if you can drink three at a sitting, the fourth one is free!

Aiden also had fun at Snip-Its getting his haircut.  They have this little gimmick where they give you a card to wear around your wrist while you get your cut, then afterward you take a bit of hair and deposit it into this machine with your card and out pops a prize.  Aiden was so excited that a Snips ball popped out and he thought it was "magic" that turned his hair into "dis ball!"  We also used up some of our leftover tickets at Fantasyland and found a new side table for the living room.

4 comments:

Erin and Sylvan said...

how did i now know about chocolate milkshake day--my favorite food EVA?

LB said...

You need to celebrate now that you know!

Robyn (aka Food Girl) said...

Awful Awfuls! Love them! I remember when we visited my cousins in RI we would always get them at Newport Creamery...I think I even convinced my parents to give me one for breakfast one time. OK, I'm ready to come visit :)

LB said...

Yum, you are lucky girl with nice parents ;) I can't get enough of the peanut butter chocolate! You definitely need to come visit!