Sunday, June 2, 2013

26 months

Dear Keaton,

This month has been a pretty quick one, probably because you spent most of it shouting, "Go Keaton Go! I really fast!"  It was also a bit of a crazy month.  I was out of town and your dad was away twice with lotsa meetings in between and we figured out there were only 12 nights with both parents around.  You were a good go with the flow guy, even when you got sick with croup and pneumonia!  We were lucky to catch it early and get you back on track fairly quickly.
There was lotsa cuddling when you weren't feeling well, and my hair became "trickily" You'd say "Mommy, your hair is trickily, move hair!"  "It's really heavy, move it pease"  And then your own stringy, shaggy hair that is getting pretty long, "Please move my hair mommy, my hands sticky."  Tickles were a common topic of conversation around here - "Mommy kisses tickle!"  Cuddles were just as popular - "Mommy put on your cuddle blanket I cuddly!" 
Living with a two year old goes something like this:
Keaton: I want to play a game!
Mom: Ok, which game do you want to play?
Keaton: No, tanks.
You put on your own shoes but whether you want to is another story.  You usually rush to get your shoes on when it isn't your turn to head out anywhere.  You love riding in daddy's car in the seat that we added.  If you wake up and daddy has already scooted out to work, you put your shoes on and ask to go to daddy's work.  After the spring picnic, you think daddy's work includes a lot of balloon animals, a giant connect 4 game, and bubbles.  Of course, you want to go back there!
Sometimes we will go out somewhere and when we get home, you wander around saying "Everybody is missing!"  You want your party people back together.  If I tell you that your brother and dad are at school and work, you will say "Oh I remember!"  Then you will hear something and say "What's that sound, must be daddy!? Oh, no, just a woodiepeck out the window?!"  It goes a little something like that until it actually is daddy coming home, which is one of the best parts of the day.
"Hey, mommy guess what? You cost $8!" Turns out that everything cost $8 in your two year old world.  It's fun to go to the store with you as you giggle when I tell you what things actually cost.  It's nice to go to the store with a giggle puss.  The Trader Joe's monkey that is hidden around the store makes your day.  You manage to find him nearly every time and the trip to the lollipop chest is the highlight of your day.
You are a rough and tumble two year old.  You sometimes get clumsy - "I fell to da ground, back uppie I go!" as you run off in the other direction.  At your brother's tball game you spun around after a quick glimpse of the game snack bag - "I want a fruit punch!" while flailing your fist around pretending to punch the air.  Who knows where you learn things, but if I ask you to not use your fists, you announce "I use hard fist!" with a growl.  You will even deal with me, "Come on, I get one punch?!"  "No zero!"  "Ok, zeeeeerooo!" as you run off charging with your fist into the couch cushion.

You love smiling at your new baby cousin on Facetime.  You like to say hi to your "Baby Camera" which is you preferred name.  One time you tried to insist that the "baby name is Keaton!"  Still not sure if you wanted to rename the baby after you or you were insisting that you were the baby.  

We had a lot of playdates with your big brother's friends this month.  They did a good job including you in their fun, and you looooved playing "Keaton Monster!"  The game is essentially you chasing them in circles over and over again.  You and your brother were into the dress up bin this month.  There was the classic Cat and Bat show, along with frequent stomping parades by dragons, tigers, and rats.  
You were so sweet when you came running to meet me at the airport.  I missed you so much and it was sweet to see your excitement.  You understand what it means to miss someone now.  Daddy came to library story time right before he left for one of his trip and youboth got to shake your sillies out (which daddy was grateful for because he usually has to keep in his sillies).  When he was getting ready to leave you said, "I going to miss you daddy!"
I asked you one day, "What two year old smells like garlic hummus?"  You cheered with enthusiasm, "Me! I eat spicy chip!"  Your scoop is more of a smear. You use one soggy chip for a huge dollop of hummus.  You insisted that we buy "PopPop chips" before your grandparent's arrived and then you tried to eat them all up. You like eating "eggies" for breakfast and you spontaneously ask, "I want to go to the donut house" where they have an egg and cheese croissant that is amazing.  You love calling ham "spider ham" while you pretend to feed it to your spiderman guys.
Huggie guy was back at your bigger kid story time.  You were meeting some new friends, so I suppose it makes sense that you need to greet them with a hug.  There was a story time all about chickens.  There was a hen puppet having chicks and she is so happy she sings "If you are happy and you know it" (which is your favorite!)  When were are hanging out playing Sneaky Snacky Squirrel you like spontaneously chant "More sneaky kisses!" and give kisses all around the circle.  
You think it is fun to wear a hot mitt and try to carry things around.  The velcro wooden cutting fruits became one of your favorites.  The Octopus that hides that balls in his shoes was another big favorite this month, but mostly for hiding toys that get jammed in the track.  You laugh when you undress your baby and ask "where's babies' diaper?!"
Your imagination is so much fun.  You like to pretend to watch the pigs fly outside, especially when they jump from tree to tree.  You like to squeal as you create imaginary pillow fire in my lap - "Mom, hot pillow on you!"  You loved wearing your pirate hat and carrying your foam sword making hiya chink clang noises as you swipe it around.
You recognize Beatles songs after the first few lines of the song - You yell out "Da Beadles playing!"  It's a symptom of me playing the same CD over and over.  You weren't quite sure what to think of the Color Run, until we let you out of the stroller to actually run and you were moving and grooving.  Then you were clapping like a little old lady.  You eventually fell asleep and slept through the incredibly loud booming after party music.
You like looking at pictures of things that we've done together.  You explain the pictures - "I ride the bumpdy tracdor width Ainen and Mommy!"  You can explain what is wrong with something to make sure I understand. For instance, "Mommy, my pants too big, must be Aiden pants!"  Your favorite phrase this month was "Hey, Mommy guess what!?"  Which was usually followed by, "I really love you!"  Well, guess what buddy, I really really love you!

Love, Mommy

No comments: