There are a few things that are signature classic parts of my boys' childhood and many kids growing up in this decade: Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie series. These books exploded in our house and we own all but a few of them somehow. They were some of the first books Aiden read and some of the all time favorites. Daddy does some great voices. When I heard through Mo Willems' blog that they were staging a play I nearly lost my mind. I was probably just as excited as the boys to gobble up first row tickets the day they went on sale. The Kennedy Center hosted his last play all about his Knuffle Bunny book, and they asked him to do this one which is actually based on a few of the books in the series. We cruised down there for the early show and even had a chance to gobble up some delicious chocolate mousse in the cafe ahead of the show. Such a treat! It was so well done, and the familiarity of the characters acting was really spot on and really reminded you of the stories without repeating the stories. They had kids and parents entertained with a sorta vaudeville like feel with a trio called the Squirrelles kicking the music up a knotch. The band, Dr. Cat and the Bear-i-tones was housed on stage. They were rocking from our exceptionally close seats. A somewhat sleepy Keaton actually said that right after the show - "They were loud!" Aiden was charmed by the ice cream sharing scene the most. It really grabbed their attention and everyone enjoyed it. I wish I could get a recording of the music.


No comments:
Post a Comment