Photos and story from the Letterman CBS website:
Check this video out:
My rundown of the pre show QA (because I'm crazy like that):
His interns must have literally run out to get a huge batch of frozen peas and a costume together in a matter of minutes! - It was a huge thrilling surprise when Pea Boy came running out as he had just started introducing the Top Ten. It's amazing how the peas were crushed everywhere and covering the stage and crushed into the theater carpet. The stage crew was shaking their fist at me and saying "I should pay for this mess!" as I tried to thank them for cleaning up the huge mess. There were peas flowing out of the building and we even saw a few crushed peas out on the sidewalk outside the theater![Leaning over the camera he just flipped up in the air]Letterman:So folks, what can I do for you?![My hand shot up from the second row immediately to his left]Letterman:Yes, Ma'am, what's your name?Me:LaurenLetterman:"Where are you from?"Lauren:"Outside Washington, DC"Letterman:"That's a nice place to live, eh. So, as they say, what branch do you work for?"Lauren:"I'm a Mom"Letterman:"Oh, that's nice that you're a mom, how old are your kids?"Lauren:"3 and 6"Letterman:"Ah, those are good ages. And what are their names?"Lauren:"Aiden and Keaton"Letterman:"How do you spell Keaton? I've never heard that name? Is it like Diane?"Lauren:"Yes, just like Diane"Letterman:"Ah, a family name"Lauren:"Nope, just weird!"Letterman:"Nah, I like those. Good irish names, right?!"Lauren:"Yes"Letterman:"The real question is which kid rules the roost? I'm sure it's that Keaton!"Lauren:"Yes, definitely the three year old!"Letterman:"So, what's your question?"Lauren:"So I want some classic Dave, and I was wondering if you could bring back Pea Boy!"Letterman:[laughing] "Ah, yes, Pea Boy! [turning to his head writer] Wow, when was that old friend last here?! At the old show? Has he ever been here? Who was pea boy? An intern? Didn't we do that more than once? We paid that guy actual money to come back for a second time? How did we, wait I'm asking you like I wasn't actually here? Of course, I remember now! Hey, Paul do you remember the music?"Paul:"Nope."Letterman:"Well, sure you do! Listen folks, we had a bit that we'd do where a guy wore a pea suit. What was that suit anyway? Anyway he would burst into the theater throwing frozen peas at all your surprised faces! After we did it a second time, we thought what in the world are we doing? Because it turns out you might be the only person that liked pea boy! Ok, who else has a question?"Letterman:Yes, ma'am, where are you from?"Lady:"Minnesota"Letterman:Well, that's a nice place to live."Lady:Yea, I suppose when it's not too hot or raining or snowing."Letterman:"Oh stop complaining. What's your question?"Lady from Minnesota:"So what would you say was your favorite moment of all time?!"Letterman [being hurried by the countdown to the show]:"Well, I would have to say when this lady over here asked me about Pea Boy!"[Band breaks in and he runs off straight to his intro and monologue]

2 comments:
Keaton, who was busy running the house even in your absence, had us play your Peaboy exploits over and over. Thus a new generation of Peaboy aficionados is born.
Ah, of course, he'd be as excited by pea boy, must be in the genes! The DVR is easier than the old VHS tape ;)
Post a Comment