Saturday, November 1, 2008

whole milk day

Today was whole milk day. I've talked about whole milk day to my coworkers and friends. I asked the ladies at daycare whether they've ever had a kid that had trouble switching over and they informed me I was the only person that had switched from straight breast milk to cows milk in their experience. I read online about what you should do to switch from solely breast milk to cow milk. I read sad stories from moms that said that "giving up" breast feeding was emotionally draining. I read stories about how the kid wouldn't have anything to do with cow's milk and they had to try versions of soy or other random stuff. I decided after ingesting all this to not think about it too much and to just go with the flow.

I am going to choose to look at this as an opportunity for Aiden's digestive system to learn something new. I'm happy I was able to pump milk for him three-four times a day at work since going back last January. I was eager to throw the pump out the window or at the janitor when he walked in on me, but I have to say I'm thankful that it went so smoothly. I learned to type, talk on the phone, and pump all at the same time. I have to say I'm proud of that.

Our doc originally said that we could start whole milk at 11.5 months, but I wanted to wait until after all the birthday/halloween excitement to be sure we didn't ruin that if he had a bad reaction to the milk. I started dropping a pumping session around 10am about a week ago, but my supply maintained itself and I would just get more on the next session. I would end up with almost the exact same 13 ounce amount each day. As I type this, J is feeding Aiden his third whole milk cup today. He seems to like it and his only initial hesitation was the temperature. It seems he likes it a little warmer than the fridge.

I kept busy today and I think that helped distract Aiden from wanting to eat with me. I was away for the first full whole milk cup at a quilt show (goal one is the wean, goal two is to make a quilt by this time next year). We cruised the neighborhood in the stroller and hit the playground. Then we went over to the indoor Monster Mini Golf which was beyond over stimulation (everything glow in the dark, black lights, growling statues, and even a dayglow hippo!). I'm hoping that we can keep ourselves preoccupied tomorrow too. So far so good...

It is a super power:

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yeah Lauren you made it! You deserve a HUGE pat on the pack. Just keep reminding me how the time goes fast....7 months to go:)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Lauren! I'm celebrating with you as you get to pack away the evil pump. Enjoy your new freedom!