I was on the skype with Aiden two Sundays ago and the laptop battery was low so we had to sit at the desk (whereas we normally let Aiden play and I carefully push the computer around so that he can show Gran and Pop his toys and they can see him run around the room). I was wrapping all of our presents in the office, and as he got more and more fidgety I decided to give him one early... then I realized it was exactly twelve days before xmas and we could give presents on a twelve days of xmas countdown. So, if it sticks there is a very informal way to start a family tradition.I hope that in lieu of ripping all the presents open on xmas (although there will still be plenty to open!) we might be able to give one small present (like a stocking stuffer that won't fit in a stocking) for the twelve days leading up to xmas and when he's older talk about some lesson associated with it... something we are thankful for... We'll call it the Twelve Days of Gratitude.
12th day - Acceptance
The book I grabbed, kicking off our new tradition, was Charlotte's Web with the fun noise buttons. I hope that that years from now when we read stories before bed Aiden picks Charlotte's Web (along with that Indian in the Cupboard book I really liked in 5th grade). I am fuzzy on the entire story, but I remember a big part of it was acceptance. The pig and spider learned to love each other despite their differences.
11th day - Looking forward to sunny daysThe next day was a busy day and I spent part of it sorting out Aiden's old clothes and replacing it with new. Aiden's new shoes for next summer that make me smile everytime they peek out of his new clothes pile. I imagine him wearing them on sunny days kicking around the playground (also known as his skater park for his new skateboard shoes).
10th - DeterminationAiden was determined to knock over his new cardboard blocks and Daddy was determined to build one that stood taller than the next. These new blocks are awesome and they kept Aiden's determined attention the entire hour it took me to put them all together.
9th - GrowthThis growth chart will help us look back over the years and remember our little muchkin. Aiden loved playing with the stickers and pushing them against the wall when I asked him to stand up next to it. I plan to put a tick mark each month to see when he has some growth spurts. I also plan to transfer my tick mark on the wall from 13 months over to the chart.
8th - FriendsEric Carle's stacking blocks have so many new friends on them. I know it's a stretch, but I also got a similar set for his friend's upcoming birthday. So if Aiden was older we could talk about giving to friends... I know, I'm stretching. It's just a good excuse for a new tradition ;)
7th - Easy going spiritHippo Goes Bananas Book makes a good point about taking things in stride.
6th - BuildingThe my first tools book are a subtle message about creativity. Using the tools you have to build - doesn't have to be with these tools, could be the tools daddy uses to write.
5th - CreativityBath tub crayons help you find a unique place to make your mark.
4th - AwarenessBeing aware of the weather is just the beginning ;)
3rd - Making NoisePress Aiden's tummy and he'll make noise for you too ;)
2nd - Being SillyPenguin bowling is a good example. Photo not available ...yet.
1st! And today the biggest gift of all is spending time with family! We're out for a bit. Enjoy the holiday!
No comments:
Post a Comment