Monday, December 15, 2008

new track

We had a little holiday brunch planned with Aiden's old teacher and his current assistant teacher at our house. I was looking forward to having them over so that I could try to reassure myself that everything will be fine when Aiden moves to the big toddler room. I've been having reservations about him moving over there because the biggest kids are almost 3 years old and then you have my little 15 month old... it just seemed like a stressful environment for the little ones (and I don't even want to read the research about cortisol levels in kids). I'm sure that Aiden could hold his own and get used to it.... but then when I was home with him this past week with his tummy bug I felt like he was learning so much one-on-one. I've been longing for a new arrangement...one like my folks had when we were little with an in-home nanny.

I had looked into it and even tried emailing some nannies (all of which I thought were weird) and I had pretty much decided that it would just be too difficult to find someone good. THEN, the best thing of all happened and his assistant teacher offered to be his one-on-one nanny from now on! She decided to continue going to school for speech pathology after earning her early childhood degree, so she needs more flexibility for her school schedule. It's going to be so, so worth the extra investment and I just know that he will learn so much one-on-one. I am signed up to test drive a gymboree classes since I still want him to have a social environment every once in a while. I'm sure we'll head back to a classroom environment at some point, but I really think that this is prime time for him to have the positive reinforcement of one person that really cares about him. So, the new year will bring a whole new track for Aiden.

2 comments:

Anna said...

That is great lauren! Let me know how the class goes. I just signed up for a music class and was looking for some more classes for the girls.

Robyn (aka Food Girl) said...

Wow that sounds like a great situation for you and Aiden...congrats on finding a good Nanny! When does that start?