Thursday, August 30, 2007

diaper free infants

I feel like this pregnancy is moving along smoothly and I'm pretty used to being pregnant (there is something about it that I really like, even though I openly and actively admit that it's not always easy - and I would never be one of those women that says that they felt/feel "better than ever" while pregnant). So now that I'm settled in for the last long haul before the baby comes I've started researching what I need to know once he's here to smile back at us. I'm learning about baby signing, which I've never really heard much about but I think it makes sense. As I was bouncing around I found this article about parents who begin potty training at birth. The gist of it is that they don't use diapers and instead they think that the baby can signal to them when they need to go and they will take them to pee over the toilet or the sink (gross! esp in public) or next to a tree. I find it very curious, but I'm not sure what to think.

Here is a piece of the article: "His mother took the diaper-less tot to a tree in the yard, held him in a squatting position and made a gentle hissing sound — prompting the infant to relieve himself on cue before he rushed back to play.
Dominic is a product of a growing "diaper-free" movement founded on the belief that babies are born with an instinctive ability to signal when they have to answer nature's call. Parents who practice the so-called "elimination communication" learn to read their children's body language to help them recognize the need, and they mimic the sounds that a child associates with the bathroom... Experts at the Child Study Center at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center say children younger than 12 months have no control over bladder or bowel movements and little control for 6 months after that.
But some parents begin going diaper-free at birth, and the infants can initiate bowel movements on cue as young as 3 to 4 months...Parents attempt the early training to forge closer ties with their infants, to reduce the environmental impact associated with diapers and to avoid skin irritation caused by a wet diaper." Link:DiaperFreeBaby

1 comment:

Amanda Shea said...

Hi, L! A woman I know in Seattle has done that with here little guy....he's 8 months old and has been doing it for months already! It's AMAZING! He goes on cue. I can hardly believe it. He does wear cloth diapers occassionally but rarely "uses" them. I am so impressed!
~A