Wednesday, April 30, 2008

tableside guacamole

No tableside guac for Aiden. It could've been that it wasn't ripe enough, but Aiden haaated the sticky avocado we tried for the first time tonight. I then tried mixing it with more breast milk, then rice, then oats... each time making it worse and worse. I tasted it myself and it was pretty sweet but had a weird stick to it. I think next time we might make it more oaty right off the bat and he'll like it...or maybe at least tolerate it. He seems to like sweet potato and carrot (dreamy easy to make - dare I say fun to make, but I really like repetitive cutting projects if that explains my version of crazy fun), but they seem to stick in his system a bit longer. The pears can fix that, but they are kinda tart and he makes funny faces. Mix anything with oats and he just wants to devour it in one big bite. He tolerated green beans (which I steamed and chopped and pureed and sieved - crappy von crap to make!). Rice hardly gets a reaction out of him. I'm glad that we started him slowly on just a few foods, because as we approach the six month mark I realize how much work it is going to be to feed him solids on a regular basis!

Up to now we were just using the regular gerber rice and oats, but I heard about this happybellies brand that my friend swears by (they include probiotics which boost their digestion similar to acidophilis type stuff in yogurt for big kids). I cruised by whole foods to pick up a canister and ended up also getting some of their frozen organic foods. I plan to use these as backup when I'm in between homemade batches. I really think that frozen baby food is a smart idea because it makes sense to me that it locks in the nutrients and doesn't have to be processed as much. I can't watch an episode of that Unwrapped show without thinking about all the extra crap that goes into processed foods.

My normally even keel friend went ape over the plastics thing and after calling gerber was not reassured that their plastic containers aren't leaching like all those crazy baby bottles (really pissy). I try not to be alarmist and I really don't know much about this, but I guess the containers are unclassified plastic or something so they could be a concern especially because the foods are sitting in the plastic for quite a while and they could eat away at the composition of the plastics. Also, special note: if you break a compact fluorescent light bulb clean it up immediately, keep your kid away from that area, and try to scrub any fibers it touched - They leak hazardous amounts of mercury. Be sure to dispose of them at a place like Ikea or a recycling center. This will be the next big Today Show type news.

No comments: