Tuesday, October 20, 2009

apple pie!


I just pulled the apple pie of the season out of the oven. I usually make about one a season because I'm so busy making pumpkin muffins ;) This will be the first pie Aiden tries, so let's hope it's a good one :) The verdict will have to wait until tomorrow. I also hope that it will cheer up Rebecca (since her poor doggie Rex was bitten multiple times by another dog).

We picked up the apples for the pie at the farm the other day, and ooh boy they are delicious. Even more delicious sliced, doused in sugary goodness, and baked in a pie! (The Joy of Baking recipe asked you to "Let the apples macerate at room temperature for about two hours." Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ApplePie.html#ixzz0UVl2xvbC - I'd never "macerated" before but I think it's worth it because then it calls for less sugar!)

I've always had a "thing" about pesticides. I think it was that Independent Study I did for Zenith in middle school about Rachel Carson and Silent Spring that caused it. As the winter sets in, here is a list of the best foods to aim for organic options:

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yummy I will have to try that recipe. My sister in law gave me the easiest advice for buying organic, if you eat the skin then buy organic:)

Rebecca said...

I miss your pumpkin muffins.