J and I both decided on an impulse to go see Where the Wild Things Are this afternoon. We didn't have a babysitter, so we each went along to two different showings because we're smarty ;) and we might have to do that again sometime. I went while Aiden was napping, so I didn't even miss any of the real wild thing action. Aiden and I made a huge batch of pumpkin muffins while daddy went to see it.
I think that the movie was more than I expected. It really left you thinking. I'd seen the sneak peak on the OnDemand and the trailer and I wish I knew less about it and had gone in fresh, because many of the coolest parts were already included in the preview. I think they did a good job translating the same feel of the book. It is a movie more about childhood than for children. I enjoyed seeing it on the big screen because some of the shots were so awesome. I also liked hearing the audience react. There was a little 5 year boy asking questions and I wondered how I would answer questions like that from Aiden. Then there was another little kid snoring away since it's a fairly slow, deep movie. Some reviews complain that it doesn't have much of a plot, but I think that the viewer has to use their imagination to elaborate on it. Of course, I like movies without plots according to J. It definitely delivers a thoughtful and thought provoking take on the classic book.
No comments:
Post a Comment