Monday, July 16, 2007

hospital hopes

We're signed up for birth and caring for baby classes (5 sessions total, three in one Saturday). We also have a Grand Tour and So Much More class to top it all off (still not sure what so much more could be?!). These classes are very popular and they take into account your due date, so the sessions will be spread out from the end of Sept through mid October. They are smart enough to have comfy chairs, right?! I had a flashback of terror that it would be like going to RISD class for three hours perched on a stool. I wish they were earlier and I may still try to bump them forward if people cancel.

Our hospital is a well known place to have a baby, and I've cruised through portions of it while photographing doctors and students for work...but I had no idea how popular this place is: "The primary teaching affiliate of Brown Medical School for obstetrics, gynecology and newborn pediatrics, Women & Infants is the tenth largest obstetrical service in the country with more than 9,700 deliveries per year." That's over 26 babies a day! Fit Pregnancy magazine named Women and Infants one of the top ten hospitals in the country to deliver a baby. Now there is a way to set high expectations!

I've been warned that since it is a teaching hospital you may end up with a big audience if you don't ask them to limit the number of students in the room (or you can ask for none at all). I'm all about giving people good learning experiences, but I do want our moment to be our moment (or Aiden's moment) without too much distraction.

I know this is all pretty far off, but time is already flying by. The last 20 weeks or so have been so full of activity it's hard to imagine that we have around 120 days to go!

No comments: