Friday, November 2, 2007

baby sitcom premieres soon

We are "becoming a sitcom" according to our almost giddy happy doctor. She came in laughing at my blood pressure. Which is "better than hers ever is" now that I'm beyond full term and there is nothing to worry about. She was very reassuring and joking with us. She asked how I was doing and guessed that I qualify as a SOP - sick of pregnancy. That would be a big yes - check box double check (even though I swear there was a time that I liked being pregnant so much I thought I'd be sad for it to end). She said that she almost killed someone when she was sick of being pregnant. Uh, not quite there yet. She was mad at her OB because they had to strip her membranes over and over again. She glances over her glasses and asks me if I'd like her to try that because she's good at it... My response was an immediate, "yep, let's do it, can you do it repeatedly?!" Now I had researched this pretty extensively, so I knew it was safe and most assuredly painful (the short explanation of what it is: pushing the amniotic sac away from where it has attached to the cervix - if you google it you need to take in the real research and less discussion board crap on people's opinions). As she leaves for me to get undressed, she tells J to be ready to hold my hand. As I get ready, J asks me if I'm sure I know what she's about to do. For sure, this is the best reaction I can imagine from my doctor. I guessed she was going to declare nothing had changed and I was going to get a lecture on patience as pregnant virtue or some other eh-whatever-that's-normal head shaking routine.

She comes back in and examines me (a bit over 2 cm- bleh), comments that Aiden is really low and she can feel hair! Then she goes to work. She explains as she's doing it that it's like separating two pieces of cellophane. She said that it may lead to my water breaking and going into labor within 48 hours...oh the fantasy! I get the best compliment yet, and she says that I'm tough because I took that pretty well. She ought to feel the pains I've been having for three weeks. I'll show her tough! She then monitors the baby and comments on my rock solid belly (which wasn't even as hard as it gets). She says she probably will not see me for my next appt, and she is laughing as she bounces out the door.

I can't imagine anything more anti-climactic at this point. Yep, same old contractions. Yep, same old so far. I am laying on top of my waterproof sheet not watching any bad sitcoms or baby shows... I'm just hoping that we make our own baby show sooooon.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi sweetie. Ahhh the waiting! I bet it must be hard...but soon sweet Aiden will be here. :) I was really hoping for a halloween baby...guess my vote for 10/31 is now void. Not much news from here. I met with my committee yesterday. It was scary - but I feel more on track with what I am doing for the dissertation. I can look at J. and know there is a light at the end of the dissertation tunnel....
Sure do miss y ou.

Bonnie said...

Having guests for dinner tomorrow night and decided to make the new dining room sparkle. A new vase, and just brought home fresh flowers for it. In honor of your ... "situation," I purchased one large hydrangea, with delicate BLUE on the edges of the blossom, and a bunch of BABY'S BREATH to enhance the hydrangea. We can just consider it a physical HINT that "We're ready and waiting, Aiden!"
Bonnie