Tuesday, May 18, 2010

guest blogger: gran

A guest blog written by Gran Gran / Photography by Pop Pop:

I am honored to be the first guest writer in the Brennan Family Blog. Since Rebecca is on a celebratory Mexican vacation Jeff and I have gladly tried to fill her shoes watching Aiden this week. I’m not sure about Jeff, but my shoes are a bit worn down trying to keep up with Aiden aka “the magic tree,” “wonder pet singer,” or “Fido, the Dog.” Aiden has shown his newly found imagination and bounces among personas at will. He has kept Jeff and I, aka the King and the Princess, busy replanting him when the winds come and blow down the magic tree. He entertains us with his rousing renditions of his “not too big and not too tough” Wonder Pet song. Then he decided to be a dog that we named Fido. We chased him in circles until we got dizzy, played catch until we lost the ball (ok.. it wasn’t really lost, we hid it), and finally walked him on his leash (a purse strap attached to his belt loop) until we convinced him that dogs weren’t allowed on the big ships we were going to take him to visit.

The big ships or what Aiden called “battle boats” were at Battle Ship Cove in Fall River, Mass. He loved climbing up and down and through the tight and twisted doors and hall ways of a destroyer, a sub, and a battle boat ……errrr I mean battle ship. We really did enjoy it. It is quite impressive and even moving to think of the sacrifices of the sailors who served on these ships.

Aiden liked the ships, but mostly he liked having us chase him and conning us into buying him ice cream. He fell asleep within minutes of climbing back into his car seat. After his nap we were back to his “magic tree” persona, but had switched back to being Fido to greet Jay and Lauren at the door barking on all fours with his leach attached. It’s a good thing we weren’t being paid!
We now had two more adults as partners in time to take Aiden to the local McDonalds to see Shrek and to the Newport Creamery to make a craft and more ice cream. I think I may have “forgotten” to tell Lauren he had ice cream already on the ship. Oh well, ice cream has calcium in it, doesn’t it? I’m not so sure Grandparent spoiling is the best thing for kids, but I do know that Aiden is good for me… If I were his permanent baby sitter I could give up my YMCA membership. I look forward to tomorrow. It’s good to be Princess.

1 comment:

Erin and Sylvan said...

I love this post Mrs. Oviatt! Aiden is lucky to have such cool grandparents!