Thursday, June 2, 2011

2 months

Dear KC,

I'm determined that my second born will get the same treatment as my first born, so today marks your first monthly letter.  One thing you need to know about your mom is that if she's determined to do something, she will (although I can't promise they will be on time and yours will have little side notes about your brother).  You are already showing me how determined you are....Determined to get the heck out of even mildly wet diapers (your brother never fussed for dirty pants, but you have your own preferences)....Determined to find me in a room by crooking your little turtle neck all around when you hear my voice....Determined to catch that piggy hanging from your hippo play mat ring....Determined to try to stay awake in the van to look around (you usually give in to the calming rumble of the car, although you prefer if we don't catch too many stop lights)....

I hear your dad and I saying to people that you are the "perfect second baby."  You are so mellow, and easy to figure out most of the time.  Despite needing to eat a bunch at night, you typically eat and then fall right back to sleep (where your brother wanted to party).  You are so alert when you are awake.  You like to look all around and once you've examined one spot long enough you ask to switch to the other arm so you can look the other direction.  Your wide, deep baby blue eyes are collecting all sorts of new info.  I can tell that your focus is getting sharper.  I can elicit a smile now just by raising my eyebrows at you (I don't have to cheat and tickle your cheek anymore, which only really ever earned me a half face smile).  I get the widest surprise eyes from you when I put your cheek against mine and hold you up to the mirror by the changing area.  I wish I knew what you were thinking.... could be what is that crazy wild eyed mommy doing so close to that sweet baby?

You would think we have it all figured out, but I'm definitely learning new things from you.  Nursing 100% of the time and not pumping will make for a very interesting year (I now live in nursing tanks).  We're learning how to cuddle on the run, and you're getting more and more comfy in your Moby wrap (it's elaborate sling method on the nearly 10 foot long piece of fabric is now second nature for me).  Having a big brother to entertain means that your chill, flexible personality is coming in very handy.  You sleep in our arms or in the car most of the time and I don't care what anyone else thinks about that.  I think that I've learned what works best for us.  You actually seem calmer when there is some sort of noise around you.  I'm not sure you've ever slept in an empty quiet room.

You really aren't much of a true cryer.  You never show tears and you really only cry out for a quick second to let us know you are ready for the next agenda item and you mean business.  Your grunting routine is less and less common and you are learning to make so many new coos.  Your little baby snore could easily be mistaken for a cell phone ringing on vibrate.  The little bubble blowing, lip smacking noise you make is something that will be etched in my mommy mind.  The crinkle of your infant ears is slowly unfolding.  Your soft, soft skin is so fun to cuddle since these warmer months mean your man of leisure suits are usually legless or at least footless.  Your brother helps play this little piggy with your toes.  You have the same strong kicky legs as your brother.  If humans walked earlier it would just be so darn cute to see a miniature person toddling... heck it's cute even once you are old enough to balance on your own.... but don't worry I won't get ahead of us because I need to soak in every minute of these bitty baby days.  I know how fast they go by and how much I will miss them.

This letter took about five times longer thanks to the one handed typing routine.  I am getting plenty of practice with using one hand for so many things.  One handed packing and moving to Virginia will be the biggest upcoming challenge.  You will think of yourself as "from Virginia" and I wonder if when you introduce yourself to others if you will ever even mention being born in Providence.  Either way it doesn't really matter, but I will remember so clearly the day you rocketed into our lives in sunny Providence.  I've never used the word brother more in my life than I have the past two months, and I am so grateful for my baby brothers.  Looking forward to another month of cheek wrangling cuddles...

Love, Mommy (the one with the milk)

No comments: