Sunday, June 5, 2011

Aiden's New School -- Guest Blog by J

On Friday morning, we visited Aiden's new pre-school, the M.o.n.tessori School of Northern Virginia. Now, being admitted to MSNV was quite hard--MSNV has a rejection rate approaching MIT's. For his application, Aiden's current teacher wrote him a six-page recommendation letter. The Head of School interviewed Lauren and me for two hours. Aiden crafted a five-page entrance essay (in crayon), which we'll save for future use in his college apps.

All this may seem too much for a pre-school, but after one short visit to MSNV, the need for such screening became clear. MSNV is no ordinary school. Indeed, after seeing MSNV, you'd find Hogwarts unimpressive.

MSNV lies within an enchanted forest in the heart of Annandale. As we drove toward campus, the surrounding trees whispered to us in their ancient magical language. Gryphons flew overhead. We knew we had found the right site by the glow of will-o-wisps. Five gnomes, sitting atop honey fungus, greeted us as we entered the building.

MSNV's music classes are conducted by forest blue jays, which sing Disney Princess-style with the children. Beethoven's ghosts visits every friday to lead the student orchestra. The music room is stocked with every world instrument ever devised from reeds, animal skins, or gourds. (They also had an Ovation guitar--which seemed somewhat out of place with its plastic body.) At night, elves and sprites emerge from the woods to clean and maintain the 3-acre playground.

Equally impressive were the children. In the primary program--Aiden's future class--the most popular work among the three-year-olds was the Calculus and Analytic Trigonometry Block Set. Other children enjoyed the Quantum Spin Top or Krebs Cycle works instead.

Aiden fit right in. After taking a tour of the grounds--taking extra time at the playground--he spent an hour in a classroom. As a current Montessori student, he knew exactly what to do. After grabbing a mat to create a workspace, he chose the Organic Chemistry work. I'll never forget the look on his face as he emerged from the classroom and shouted, "Look, mommy, I synthesized 2-(amino-hydroxy-methylidene)-4-dimethylamino-6,10,11,12a-tetrahydroxy-6-methyl-4,4a,5, 5a-tetrahydrotetracene-1,3,12-trion!"

At that moment, we knew we'd made the right choice.

8 comments:

LB said...

There are at least two correct bits of info in J's mock post - see if you can guess :)

Unknown said...

This post made me laugh! I hope this means all went well? How did the house look? :-)

Liz said...

Our guess is the two hour interview for you and J and the bit about taking extra time on the playground and spending an hour in the classroom.

LB said...

Liz wins two points! Our visit did go well, even J was saying to the admissions director that he would like to go to school there. We liked the house overall, and I think you may hear more from the self-dubbed guest blogger J about it.

Erin and Sylvan said...

hilarious! made me snort with laughter. well done dr. B:)

Bonnie said...

I think that's where my brother got his Master's degree in musicology.

I also think J's creative mind is on overdrive and the sooner you all get settled in VA the healthier you'll all be!!

What I'm still working on is the period after M, O, and N in M.O.N.tessori ..... ??

LB said...

J's blog would be much more entertaining, eh? I put those periods in so that search engines wouldn't land on this page. We were very happy with the new school and we both wish we could enroll along with Aiden.

Bonnie said...

Ah, I see. I'd just forgotten that I need to try to keep up with you young folk who know so much about computers, etc.

Don't stop blogging, L! You're the mainstay here. Fun to see the different personalities show thru in the writing. Exceptional reading, all of it!