Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Aiden, Jedi Knight -- Guest Post by J

Aiden has never seen a Star Wars movie--he's still too young, even for the first one--but he has a healthy love of Star Wars nonetheless. We do have a Lego Star Wars video game for the Wii, which we sometimes play, but somehow or other he became aware of Star Wars before that.

Aiden's well-versed in Star Wars trivia for a 3-year-old who hasn't seen the movies. He knows that Darth Vader is a bad guy, who used to be a good guy. He also knows that Anakin Skywalker was a good Jedi who then became Darth Vader. He can identify Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, R2D2, C3PO, Chewbacca, and stormtroopers.

Aiden and I often have pretend lightsaber duels. Aiden might start by trying to knock me down with Force Push, but if that doesn't work--and if he's being the bad guy--he'll resort to Force Lightning. Aiden is also fond of inventing non-canon force powers, such as "Force Ice Ball" (which freezes me, so I can't parry his lightsaber strikes). Aiden seems to think one acquires force powers by eating. He'll sometime stop a battle and say, "Dad, I need to go into the Force Kitchen and eat some Force Push." He'll then retreat to the dining room, pretend to eat something, and come back with super-charged force powers.

1 comment:

LB said...

It's the playground influence! All week I've been witnessing it firsthand...these boys have elaborate role playing games. And the library even has a Star Wars ABC board book!