Thursday, June 9, 2011

Congratulations to Lauren, RISD CE Graduate -- Guest Post by J

Lauren is always busy with something. Not "busy-as-a-bee" busy--she does get rest. But rather busy in the sense that she's always immersed in some project. Not satisfied with having two degrees and lots of expertise in photography, she enrolled a few years ago in RISD's continuing education program in digital photography. This semester she finished her certificate, despite having to work on a "mid-semester project" of giving birth and raising a newborn infant.

RISD CE held its graduation ceremony in the student refectory. (Side story: Since RISD is just down the hill from Brown, I was able to find us an awesome parking spot. But we had a stroller with us, and had to climb up about 600 stairs plus fight off three mountain trolls just to reach the right room. RISD's student center looks easily accessible from the street, but the front doors open to a series of five stairways. I guess if you're in a wheelchair, you don't go to RISD.) Beforehand, they served caper-crusted mini-pizzas, bright green mini-quiches, sea salt tortilla chips, and very good hummus. We forgot to eat dinner, so thank RISD for hors d'œuvres.

The Dean of Continuing Education made some cheery and somewhat off-color opening remarks. He'd hold his own on the Colbert Report.

Aiden and Keaton were perfectly well-behaved during the ceremony. Mommy did have to nurse Keaton immediately after receiving her diploma, but at least we avoided a crying baby.

Afterward, we went here for Gourmet Cupcakes:



Congratulations, Lauren! We're all continually amazed and impressed by all you do.

(Lauren is now considering pursuing a law degree part time to keep herself from getting bored. After all, we get free spousal tuition at Georgetown Law.)

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I think she should indeed get a board ---- one of Tim's Stand Up Paddleboards! I can see her doing that!

Congrats to Lauren and congrats to J for taking such a key role in providing colorfully creative blog updates. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Congrats Lauren!! That's excellent! :-D

LB said...

I will pursue that law degree right after I go sky diving... not much of a chance ;) Thanks to J for supporting me through this program - especially since it left him with extra daddy time from 6-10 most Monday nights ;)

LB said...

Thanks!