Friday, July 22, 2011

wrapping up

Making sense of all this moving required not just lists (logistics diagram to the left shows the flights/drives and the icky plan that never happened!) and tons of money thrown at our moving company but a very flexible, accommodating Gran and Pop who shuttled Aiden to Ohio (it was like grateful parent endorsed kidnapping)...  My dad joked that they were going to race KC and I to the Cleveland airport.  The race was on at 7:30 in the morning after Aiden helped me carefully pack up his nighttime animal friends in their "treasure chest" aka. a big office storage box.  We had a high five at the door and he hopped in the car very enthusiastically... not even close to realizing that he was leaving the only house he's ever lived in... J, the baby, and I walked back in for another few hours while the movers arrived to start the real action.

I could not believe how when you pull everything out it just expands and explodes.  One packer spent over three hours on our bedroom (with the two built ins and two closets) and he said it was a record in his 13 year career.  He started around 9:00 and didn't come downstairs until 2:30!  I knew I was good at squirreling things away, but I could not imagine the floor to ceiling boxes.  I snuck around them patching nail holes and trying to be somewhat useful.  KC and I left for Ohio around 4:00 and I left J to take care of everything else.  I do need to thank him for putting up with all the details....and the boredom and my somewhat emotional frustration.

I am so sad to leave that house...where I brought my boys home from the hospital... I fell in love with that house immediately.  It was my closest to love at first sight.  And it was quite a sight - a big room full of shrunken barn board and pink laminate cabinets in the kitchen!  Really how did I find the place in my heart to love that house despite it's quirks?  and it's desire to eat up all our money... ;) We do have buyers that are in the last stretch to close on July 29 - Phew is all I can say... Oh well, I will always fondly remember 65 "Haud-Dorn Dive" as Aiden used to say when he first learned his address... Here he is on our last morning in the house when I videotaped every nook and cranny but I'll spare you the detail ;)

No comments: