Thursday, June 28, 2007

doctor quickie

We had the follow up doctor's visit to our ultrasound today. I really felt like I wanted to be prepared. I wanted to get answers to questions that I didn't even have. I wanted her to share every possible alien thing that could happen between now and the next time I see her. I wanted to hear what should happen and if it doesn't what I should do...or if it only happens to a certain degree or in a certain color or in a certain consistency... should I let my nails get chewed off before or after I finally decide to call... I'm really not that bad, but I swear I could use a little warning if something else starts leaking.

Somehow she was double booked with a lady that had an emergency - and I think her emergency involved getting ready to explode through her belly button. She was the most pregnant woman I've ever seen walking and not laying there ready to give birth or waddling around the hospital. I felt guilty for taking much time with my ridiculously healthy baby, but I did manage to get some questions answered and learn that I have some phantom deal coming up where my blood work says I am not immune to measles - even though I know I've had to prove that many times and that I have been immunized?! Some pregnant women just hide their immunity somehow because their body chemistry changes or something. Oh well, it just means some dumb booster shot in the hospital after I give birth - eh, yea that sounds like it will fit right in with the hospital fun!

She spent quite a bit of time joking with J about how he must be glad he's not a woman. His relieved half laugh was in full effect. Then she unwound that heart monitor (I wonder if I could buy one of those?). As she smeared on the goopy gel she actually joked with me on how big my belly is - and I quote the doctor directly - "Are you sure there aren't two babies in there?!" I shot a glance at J and said that's what I've been saying! She did confirm that we'll get another ultrasound later on this month and my milk ducts should work well since they are already practicing - yeah!

No comments: