Thursday, July 26, 2007

understanding big

We had our follow up ultrasound because Aiden was being a shy guy last time. This time he was blowing kisses at us and literally eating his big toe. The ultrasound technician we've had is very even keel and doesn't seem like the excitable type, UNTIL you show her an ultrasound of our "extremely long" and "acrobatic" baby. Then all of a sudden she starts expounding on how she is curious to know how long this baby is when it's born, because he sure is tall and "loooook at those toes!" His little foot was over 3/4 the size of his head, so his toe looked bigger than it's nose... Oh, let's not forget his bulging thigh and calf muscles. She couldn't get over how his muscles were so well formed for 24 weeks. She went as far as to compare me to women she sees "that are over 28 weeks along." Ok, so for a second I think, oh good, I'm so glad he's healthy and clearly getting enough nutrition to build strong muscles. Then, the next second I'm thinking, oh crap, how is it possible that this big guy is going to come out!? Everyone I see at work clearly can tell I'm pregnant now, and they inevitably ask, when are you due? - when I respond November I usually get a "oh, I thought you were farther along" or "wow, big baby eh?!" This has led to a complex reaction of mixed emotion. I want to prepare myself for all the options.

I went back to the doctor this afternoon after the morning ultrasound, and I was hungry for information. I was peeking at all the handouts in the little wall caddy even if they didn't really pertain to me. I wanted to know about this big baby and whether it was normal or could become normal eventually. The doctor's reaction wasn't entirely reassuring, but she was adamant that I have nothing to worry about. She said that she's seen the biggest babies of her career delivered naturally by petite women and the baby may slow down in its growth. The part that wasn't really reassuring is that I felt like she was treating me like I was being a crazy person for asking about things so far in the future. She didn't seem to think it was relevant for me to ask about her philosophy on c-sections, and whether your arms are strapped down (which they are! ick, but if I mentally prepare myself for that I'm sure I could be ok with it). She was playing this little game where she would joke with J that he's going to have to continue to deal with this for 17 more weeks - AAAH, I felt like screaming I am not that crazy woman you are joking about. She also kept telling me not to go on a diet - uh, yea, not a problem, I absolutely have NEVER been on a diet in my life and I promise to eat as well as I can. I don't think she really understands my motivations, but I'm hoping that eventually over the many appts she will start to understand me better.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Doctors are dumb - or at least too busy to be as understanding as they should be! You're not crazy, but don't worry about it too much.