Monday, November 23, 2009

montessori

On Sunday we went to an open house for the montessori program I have heard such good things about that we want Aiden to start in the fall. We were so impressed. I felt like it was so easy to talk to the teachers and everything they said was music to my ears. I literally felt like they were taking words out of my mouth in terms of what I want for Aiden. I could get even more cliche about it, but it was definitely a match.

Typically the montessori model does not start until kids turn three, but they have a selective program for kids with fall birthdays that Aiden could enter in September. There are only 8 kids in the class, so we are really hopeful for a spot. After his application is in, we wait for his assessment in January. J jokes that it feels like we're in that documentary about kids trying to get a spot in a nursery school in NYC. I have yet to see that and maybe I shouldn't until after Aiden gets a spot ;) For now I just need to figure out how to answer this question on the application, "As a member of a parent cooperative school, what talents, interests, or resources can you share to enhance the Ocean State Montessori School community?"

J wasn't that familiar with the structure of montessori, but I think he could immediately see how engaged Aiden was in the classroom. We know that his colleague loves it for their daughter. Here was their vote of confidence for the school: "we really love it. the wee three's teacher is truly fantastic and you can see sophie getting interested in learning and just loving the whole thing. we went and observed it recently and it was remarkable how calm the classroom was and how engaged the kids were with their "works." we'd be happy to talk more too if you have any questions."

"Works" is the way that montessori organizes the learning process. Every kids learns at their own pace and picks what they are most engaged with at that particular time. I was a montessori kid, and honestly some of the processes that they discussed reminded me of how I like to organize my time. Now that explains it ;) I'm sure everyone that knows me well understands now ;)

No comments: