Sunday, November 22, 2009

your dad

Aiden,
Most of this blog is written from your mom's perspective. I give you a few updates on your mom's life nowadays, so I wanted to give you a perspective on your dad's life lately. He has a lot of good stuff going on right now.

If you flashback to right after election time last year, where your dad's most recent top journal publication got some attention. It was mostly international attention, but the best part of all was that he was approached to write a book about the topic! Yep, he banged out that book all summer long. Just this past Friday he had a big book workshop where they flew in people to give their commentary on the book manuscript.

It's like getting an in person book review. Overall, the commentators said it was an excellent book. They pick and prod all day long and despite that pressure, your dad came home glowing. I can't come up with a better word than glowing - like you know, what you might do when you win a prize or get married. He came home in such a good mood and I have to say I was so relieved and pleased for him.

He turns in the final Ethics of Voting manuscript to the publishers on Jan 15th, so he has some work to fine tune everything before then. It will be turned in around the same time the first book he wrote with his advisor comes out. It's already posted on amazon and here is the carefully chosen cover (I had fun with that decision making process):I had this post hidden in my drafts and I never actually published it (probably to avoid getting political during those really charged times):

11/04/08
It's election day and they are expecting 150 million voters! J and I were voters number 291 and 292 at our local precinct and we literally walked in and out within five minutes supporting the school bake sale along the way. Other people I know voted early over a week ago and waited in line for over an hour. J recently published a major article about the ethics of voting, was interviewed on the New York Times bloggingheads, which led to an interview with the UK Guardian, an interview with Netherlands Radio, and a request to be on Canadian TV. The most exciting part is it led to a book deal with Princeton University Press.

Guardian UK 23 October 2008 Don't get out the vote? Jason Brennan, assistant professor of philosophy, raises the controversial notion that not all citizens have enough information to cast a vote on election day. His recent paper, published in the Australasian Journal of Philosophy, theorizes that just because one has the right to vote does not mean just any vote is right.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

that's awesome. It must feeling absolutely amazing to have your name on the front cover of that book!