Wednesday, October 31, 2007

dracula visits a day early

Halloween eve I start getting contractions that feel like Dracula bites. It's a day before Halloween and Dracula wouldn't come out before dark, right? So I try to ignore them. I had a project to fix up J's leather jacket, but I couldn't bring myself to go upstairs to grab it. You'll remember the day before I was cruising around the house just to count my steps, so this uncomfortableness is different. J went to the store to pick up Halloween candy on his way home, so that must mean that I will go into labor and we will end up eating it all ourselves. By the time J gets home I am getting them pretty frequently. J starts timing (since it makes me mildly crazy) and they are somewhat consistent at about 5-6 minutes each for just about one hour, then they start to do their crazy random crap again. Dracula is getting fickle. I try to keep calm since this will mark at least the sixth time that we have monitored really close, hard contractions that fade away. I get into the shower and they don't seem to melt like they had before. I talk to my sister on the phone and I can't ignore more of them. They are radiating down my leg making my left foot nearly numb. I start to get this feeling that during the hard contractions Aiden is frantic. He is kicking like he's stuck in a really bad haunted house and he's scaring his mom. This prompts me to call the doctor and give him the rundown. I want to be reassured that Aiden's increased activity isn't a big deal. He assures me that any baby activity is good activity and I should really watch for increased fluid and really consistent, hard contractions. Dracula keeps coming back in fits and spurts, but my blood must not be sweet enough for him to keep them at under 5 minutes for an hour. We'll see if my little pumpkin wants to come out and scare off that meany Dracula sometime today.

Apparently he can come out and scratch out Dracula's eyes with the fingernails that need to be clipped. Those crazy ticker writing people go from concentrating on brain and lung development to fingernails!?

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Laughter may indeed get things rolling ... Again, hang in there, dear. Thinking about you and J. Once you're in definite labor, I hope J will carry the laptop to the hospital and keep the blog going!
Love, Aunt Bonnie