I was amazed how much the leaves have changed in the last five days since I've been trapped in this house. It hasn't been as bad as it sounds, and I do feel more rested which makes it all worth it. We headed over to the doctor's office for our 37 week ultrasound (which was planned weeks ago). My belly is so tender lately, and I literally feel sore from this ridiculous two hour stint of insane contractions last night (I really thought it was a go because they got to about 10-15 minutes apart and an hour into it J was rushing around doing last minute chores so he could be there when I needed him to comfort me every 5 minutes for an hour (which is the real go time). It feels ridiculous when they fade away, but it's just a good 'ol uterus workout. At some point the fading away won't happen...)
I mentioned to the ultrasound tech that I was tender and he replied with, "oh, that's totally normal," and proceeded to bash his little instrument into my belly. (Side note: Our birth class instructor joked with us that you will be told numerous times that this will be uncomfortable, which is really a euphemism for this will hurt like H-E-double hockey sticks. I can't stop thinking of that whenever I get uncomfortable and it's strangely comforting because at least I'll know what to expect). So, the tech is perusing around my belly as Aiden literally kicks at his instrument. That kid had some serious aim. He measures out all the vernix ridden "dirty, old fluid" (since it is just constantly recycled through the baby's system) and determines that there is plenty of it for him to play around in. The vernix floating around in the fluid means that he has reached a good point of maturity. He comments on the placenta being in good shape and in a nice spot to be out of the way.
Then he goes in for the kill. He wants to get measurements of the head which is literally already wedged into the birth canal. He starts pressing so hard against my pubic bone that I swear he could've pushed Aiden back up. I ask if there is anything I can do to help (meaning can I shift my legs around or can you stop doing that please) and his reply is, "Unless you can break apart your pelvic bone, you are doing everything that you can..." Um, okey dokey. He continues to take numerous measurements even though he was having trouble. Then he moves to measure the abdomen, the femur, and the arm bone.
You couldn't really see a whole lot (no photos) because he's so tight in there, but his little heart beat was booming away. He also made a big fuss over what he referred to as his "apple with a big fat stem" and he is "most definitely a boy." Bottom line is that Aiden is right on track and he looks to be a few days bigger than the Nov 17th due date (although they can be off by two weeks right now). The tech said he would be right at the 50th percentile size wise if that due date is correct. The guess is that he is about 6 lbs 8 oz right now. The tech was extremely reassuring that he will be happy and healthy "if he decides to arrive tomorrow" since his lungs are fully developed. As we left, he said, "Good luck and don't forget to push really hard..." That's the plan and my uterus is already warming up.
No comments:
Post a Comment